25.8.17

terrible writings of the past | all about the cringe-worthy WIPs i started and never finished


School is going to be starting very soon for me. 

On September 8th, to be exact. Yes, I'm homeschooled and yes, I did do school through the summer, but things will be back in full swing in September rather than maybe lazily doing a lesson or two of math every few days.

And with the new school year comes new beginnings.

I've had so many new beginnings with my writing I can't even count. But, I have finally begun a journey that I will get to the end of. A novel that I will finish!

But, that is for another time. Today I'm gonna be talking about aaalllll my unfinished novels.

Actually, no, not really. That'd be a lot of books. I'm only going to be featuring a few in this post.

Be aware that most of these unfinished and terrible novels came from a very cliché mind (don't worry, I've passed that stage). Some of them are absolutely terrible and others are just a bit cringe-worthy if at all. Enjoy.

-

genre: Christian Contemporary

word count: 9,208

NaNoWriMo 2016 Novel

Ugh, I hate this one so much. Halfway through NaNo I just quit because it was just ripping me to pieces. Every time I logged onto that document I was depressed because I didn't want to write that story. I thought I did at first, but as soon as I was about 2,000 words in...nah ah. I just couldn't stand it.

In Moving On, a fourteen-year-old named Janelle is just starting High School. She and her mom have just moved and her dad had also died about a year earlier. Basically it's about how she's a complete train wreck starting school and how she gets over it. It's so cliché I cringe even thinking about it.

-




genre: Historical Fiction, YA

word count: 12,550

Camp NaNoWriMo 2016 Novel

I actually really, really love this book. It is very cliché, but I still love it. For a while I have wanted to restart it, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

Bringing in the Sheaves is about two fourteen year old cousins name Livy (Olivia) Storm and Avery Williams. They are on the trail West with Livy's parents and Avery's father. Avery's mother died a few months earlier and her dad has a weak/diseased heart, so she needs to learn to bring her troubles to God and let Him do His work in her life. I really wish that this story would work for me, but Historical fiction isn't really what I do.


-


genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, YA

word count: 532

Random Plot Bunny

Yeah...this one didn't go too far. I seriously didn't get past the plot before this book went into the "To-Be-Finished Later" folder.

In Count the Stars, every person has their own Star that watches over them - kinda like a guardian angel. One day, a girl's Star falls from the sky, and she has to help him get back to his home. I really, really love the idea. I may even continue writing it someday...just not right now.


-

genre: Mystery, Historical Fiction, Middle Grade

word count: 1,307

Random Plot Bunny

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!! I just...never wrote much of it.

In The Chest in the Attic, three girls, one Jewish, one Christian, and one neither who are from different countries are sent to a safe house in Switzerland as WWII rages on. At the house, they explore the attic and find - you guessed it - a chest. The chest is locked, and they are trying to find the key to open it, which is hidden somewhere in the town. Maybe someday I'll finish this. Someday...

-
genre: Medieval Fantasy, Fairy-tale Retelling

word count: 10,495

Camp NaNoWriMo 2017 Novel

This book was so much fun to write...for the first 9,000 words. After that I had to force myself to write more...and then I stopped.

The Rose's Shadow is a Beauty and the Beast retelling following Blaire, the oldest of twelve princesses. When her youngest sister falls ill in the night, she and Colene, the second oldest sister, must ride out into the night to get a special medicine for her. On the way back, the two are separated and Blaire comes upon an old castle...which leads to the whole Beauty and the Beast part.

I really, really, really want to rewrite the whole thing and start over, buuuuuuuuuuuut I don't really want to. I have a sort of love hate relationship with this book right now.


Yes, those are five of the past writings that I failed to finish. Because September is the month of new beginnings! I shall throw all these writings away and step forward with a clean slate!

Or, I could just leave them in a folder to collect dust until I feel like maybe finishing them.

Yeah... I'll go with the latter thought.


what did you think of my failed writings?

should I take them from their shelves, dust them off, and continue them?

or not?

Stay Beautiful,

10 comments :

  1. Fun times. The "count the stars" story sounds really cool, as does the one about WWII. Good luck starting school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all really amazing! And I get you with not finishing books ack, such trouble from words and concepts that seem so simple at first :) And the covers are absolutely beautiful!

    Good luck with starting school! Can't believe summer is pretty much gone!?

    Anna | www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! Ack, yes, that's very true.
      I know, right? Summer always flies by SO fast! I hope you enjoyed yours! :D

      Delete
  3. whoa they sound good :D And the covers tho <3 I know what old writings feel like. You cringe at their cliches but at the same time you are kind of proud of their potential :D

    ps I love the look of your blog and the font you use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Lisa! <3 Yes, that's exactly how I feel.
      I love your blog design!! <33 And your posts are all amazing! :D

      Delete
  4. You have so many great ideas for books! I have a problem with not having enough creative ideas, and if I do the ideas are so vague it's hard to start a whole book off one.

    It was really fun to read about some of your unfinished books, though! I love the sound of "The Chest in the Attic".

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia! Sometimes, my name just needs a little prompting for ideas. That's why
      I LOOOVE Pinterest. ;)
      I'm glad it was! Maybe someday I'll pick that one up again. :)

      Delete
  5. Ugh, I also have SO MANY random cliche books lying around- some historical stuff from before i realized that sci-fi/fantasy was my niche. :/ it's all soooo cringey. Your stories all sound awesome, though, and I bet you'll revisit them someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH yes! I have a lot in my jump drive that I just couldn't bring my stuff to throw away. XD Yeah, I tried historical too. Definitely NOT my thing. Thanks, Daisy! Maybe I will. :)

      Delete

A comment makes my day! But, please remember that this is a God-honoring blog. Please be nice and do not use foul language of any kind. Thanks!!

Back to Top